Sunday, August 14, 2011

Ava's First Day of Pre-K

Ava started her first day of Pre-K today at Open Arms. And though Ava has gone there for day-care as an infant and mother's morning out after I stopped working, this will be a brand new experience for her. Luckily, we are very familiar with her teachers, Ms. Linda and Ms. Debbie- Ms. Linda leads all the classes at chapel on Wednesdays and Ms. Debbie was Ava's teacher for a summer session for mother's morning out when she was three. Both teachers are fabulous and I can't say enough positive things about how energetic, patient and creative they are- when dealing with 4 and 5 year old children these qualities are a must!
Ava's classroom has 18 kids in it, which will be a pretty big adjustment from the 6 or 8 we have had in classes before. She will go on several field trips- like to the fire station, the pumpkin patch, a dairy farm- so she will ride on a bus for the first time! She will also be learning to read and is expected to know about 100 sight words at the end of the year, the pledge of allegiance, how to count by tens, her address and phone number and all sorts of other things that I can't believe she is old enough to learn!
Her closest school friends- Lincoln, Addison and Austin- will all be in her class so she is really excited to start school. I love her enthusiasm and since I was a little bit of a nerd myself, I hope that it will continue through the years :)
I can't wait to see what this year holds!

No comments: