Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Ava's Ballet Dress Rehearsal

This was our little rock star getting ready to go into her first dress rehearsal on a big stage! The recital was held at Kennesaw Mountain High School which is a fairly new school- their auditorium is state of the art and very nice. Ava was a little intimidated at first, but she quickly warmed up to the idea of dancing on such a big stage. Since pictures and video-taping aren't allowed during the real performance, I took full advantage of the dress rehearsal.

Ava loved wearing her ballet costume- it was a Cinderella costume, so what little girl wouldn't love it? It's a good thing it was a little itchy, otherwise I don't think I would have ever gotten her to take it off! We put on make-up and sprayed her hair back into a bun for the first time- I didn't want to over do it and go crazy (with visions of Toddlers and Tiaras flashing through my head) but I quickly learned that Ava looked like she was wearing no make-up at all compared to some of the other girls! Some moms came loaded up with huge caboodles (you know you used to have one!) and piled on the stage make-up- so tomorrow maybe I will be a bit more heavy handed.

Ava was pretty quiet and reserved while we were there- I think she was just trying to observe some of the older girls and take it all in. She wanted to stay after her practice and watch all the other classes perform- she was pretty star-struck watching the company girls warm-up.

When it was their turn to practice, I was so proud! Ava walked right onto the stage like she owned it... but, she was concentrating on her dance so hard that she wasn't smiling at all! Afterwards when I asked her why she didn't smile, she said that no one had told her too- I forgot that some of the most elementary things still have to be taught :) We'll see how the smiling goes tomorrow in front of a couple hundred people...

Her class ran through their dance twice, and then practiced walking out onto the stage in the dark and finding their spots... Ava will be leading the second row!


Kylie is one of the company dancers that helps out with their class. She'll be dancing with the girls on stage tomorrow and will be there just in case. Most of the girls watch her for their cues and what moves to do next and I also think it helps their nerves that she will be out there with them. I am so excited for Ava to have this experience tomorrow! I can't wait to see how she likes performing on stage in front of an audience... Hopefully, I will have a few before and after photos and maybe an i-phone video- we'll see how brave I can be about breaking the rules :)
Break a leg, Ava!!

No comments: